Monday, January 3, 2011

One Little Word

Ali Edwards has promoted the idea to choose one word to be your focus for the year.  In the past I have choosen the words BE and DO both of which worked great for their years.  Last year I couldn't commit to a word.  I actually had to look back in my blog posts to see what I had choosen, and the word I was mulling was FOCUS, but it just didn't fit in with my year and I forgot about it.  So here we are again in January, and I am thinking about a new word.  

MOVE :  (from Dictionary.com)                                                
–verb (used without object)

1. to pass from one place or position to another.
2. to go from one place of residence to another:
3. to advance or progress: The red racing car moved into the lead.
4. to have a regular motion, as an implement or a machine; turn; revolve.
5. to sell or be sold: That new model is moving well.
6. to start off or leave: It's time to be moving.
7. to transfer a piece in a game, as chess or checkers.
9. to be active in a particular sphere: to move in musical society.
10. to take action; proceed.
11. to make a formal request, application, or proposal: to move for a new trial.
–verb (used with object)


12. to change from one place or position to another.
13. to set or keep in motion.
14. to prompt, actuate, or impel to some action: What moved you to do this?
15. to arouse or excite the feelings or passions of; affect with emotion (usually fol. by to ): to move someone to anger.
16. to affect with tender or compassionate emotion; touch: The tale of tragedy moved her.
17. to transfer (a piece in a game) from one position to another.
18. to dispose of (goods) by sale.
20. to propose formally, as to a court or judge, or for consideration by a deliberative assembly.
21. to submit a formal request or proposal to (a court, a sovereign, etc.).


–noun


22. an act or instance of moving; movement.
23. a change of location or residence.
24. an action toward an objective or goal; step: a move toward a higher tax.
25. (in chess, checkers, etc.) a player's right or turn to make a play.
26. a play or maneuver, as in a game or sport.

That is a long definition, and I did delete a few I didn't like :).  But I like how it can be active or passive, emotive or direct, bold or subtle : it kind of fits into many different aspects of life and personality. 
So MOVE it is!
 
Over at Big Picture Scrapbooking, Ali Edwards is hosting a year-long class helping to maintain focus on your word and to help explore the concept together.   I've just logged into the site and am behind already, some of those ladies are quick :)  In any case I'm looking forward to this little project.
 
Anyway, moving on ;) what is a post without pictues -- here are a few layouts from our trip to Hawaii.   I had a box of new scrapping goodies waiting for me when we got home, so I printed off some pics and played.  It was very calming admidst the hustle and bustle of Christmas time.
 
 


All the pages use Webster's Pages paper and embellishments.  The last one,
the flower is a prima flower which I took off the back colour since it didn't match
and then coiled the Websters' Pages trim around it. 
 
 

Love this graphic! Its from Visual Thesaurus, just another way to view your little word!

1 comment:

  1. The visible thesaurus graphic is great! Move should be a fun word! I also really love your blog header!

    ReplyDelete